Re: Respect Dodges Truck Frames...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 23:04:56 EST

Terrible Tom <silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:

> Olznut@aol.com wrote:

>> Gee, what a good idea to put j hooks to the c pillar at the rear of the cab.
>> If it went, 8000 lbs of 4x4 CTD would pull right through that cab skin in a
>> heart beat. Rule #1 of recovery, NEVER use j hooks. Bust out the rear side
>> and back windows and run large straps through. I spent 12 years driving
>> wreckers. Seeing that recovery method scares me just as much as the accident.
>>

> Yeah I noticed that too when I went back and looked at the pics again...

  Heh! That's funny - I was going to comment on that as well. :-) (I
decided not to since I'm certainly not a recovery expert.) That's
actually the first thing I noticed - I saw something coming off the
back window and at first it looked like some sort of cage or
contraption attached to the cab, but then I looked in another pic and
went - "woah! that's just a J-hook! Is there even anything there to
hook onto?" But I figured maybe that's all they had time to do and
they figured it was better than nothing?

  I'm wondering how they got the thing out of there; in one of the
pics, where the driver has obviously already been extracted, and the
entire rear window is now smashed out, you can see what looks like
might be a yellow lowboy under the bed. I'm guessing they'd have to
bring in a crane to pick the cab up, since I can't picture them being
able to just drag the thing horizontally and have the cab pop back up
and over?

--
                                          -Jon-