Re: OT: Bikes

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2008 - 00:37:58 EDT

Rick Barnes wrote:

>Maintenance nightmare? Gimme a break...I have been quietly watching this
>conversation, until Barry stepped in it, I was going to remain silent. I am
>a retired HD mechanic. I have seen Harleys with over a MILLION miles on
>them...we would keep those bikes at the City of Miami, FL Police Department
>for 10-20 years...and they stayed in service all those years. We would then
>auction off these bikes and in many instances actually got more for them at
>auction, AFTER having hundreds of thousands of miles on them, for MORE than
>we paid for them NEW. You will NEVER do that with any RICER, Honda
>included. One can still easily get parts for Harleys built before 1950. It
>is a challenge to find parts for Hondas or any other RICER more than five
>years old...I have seen cops take those bikes and use them to push start
>CARS...do that with a Gold Wing and you will snap the frame into pieces.
>Barry, if you don't know what you are talking about, (and you don't), you
>best keep your ignorance to yourself. Yep, I remember the lousy AMF
>years..and yet an AMF Harley was still better than a ricer any day. Harleys
>are just like American soldiers...they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'
>and won't let you down. So Barry, stuff it!
>
>Proud owner of a 1958 panhead
>
>Rascal

Ok, so we have established that you are a cranky old fart that used to
wrench on Hardlys. You don't only drink the kool-aid, you bathe in it.
I will give you the point that hardly has improved from the AMF days. I
will even give you the point that you have seen some incredible levels
of motorcycle abuse. However, Tom is still an inexperienced rider, and
I am certain you are not going to advocate a hardly as a beginner bike.
Besides, half of what you pay for with a hardly is image, I mean why is
it that every Hardly shop around here dedicates 5 times as much
floorspace to doo-dads and wardrobe accouterments than the actual
bikes? I don't personally believe Hardly's are worth the effort and
expense.

None of that matters, though, because you decided to get personal and
attack me because you don't have a sense of humor. The sad part is that
this is a typical hot-headed Hardly owner over-reaction. Unfortunately,
Arguing on the on the internet, in this case, is like taking a gold
medal in the special olympics, you are still retarded. [no offence
intended to anyone who is legitimately challenged as opposed to someone
who simply chooses to act that way]