Re: Jon's next vehicle

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 20:53:54 EDT

"Chris Reck" <chris_blm@comcast.net> wrote:

> With the talk lately about Jon's vehicles, what about this?

> Shouldn't be too hard to put a Dakota cab on a frame and do this....

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsixJuErVWc&feature=related

   Well they sure seem to like tooting their own horn, but I'm
guessing their software skills aren't exactly up to the same level as
their fabrication ability, since I can find no mention of Rip Saw or
team TMT in the 2005 DARPA Grand Challenge. Speed and off road
capability is great, but neither fits into the Grand Challenge - I'm
not quite sure what these folks were thinking. I'm guessing either
they didn't enter or their performance was so dismal that they didn't
even qualify.

   Anyhoo, that's definitely a cool vehicle, don't get me wrong. All
their bragging in the video just kinda rubbed me the wrong way I
guess. Their web site is more of the same. Confidence in your
abilities is one thing, but to yap like a chihuahua is just annoying,
at some point you've got to put up or shut up, and I can't say that
I'm surprised their DARPA aspirations didn't go anywhere. Neat
vehicle, but a little humility would go a long way. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-