Help needed: O2 Sensor part numbers

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 23:57:25 EDT

I'm fed up with the Bosch O2 sensors I put on back in October. One failed
almost immediately, and even after replacing it, the truck's been running
funny when cold ever since. So I'm putting real Mopar sensors on. Picked up
all four of them at the dealer parts department today. Only one problem:
which one goes where?

I have one each of part numbers 56041698AA, 56041699AA, 56041702AA, and
56041706AA. The parts guy's computer wouldn't tell us which one is for which
position, and the diagrams just show a generic engine picture with O2 sensors
kinda floating in mid air in the approximate postions.

We might have found that 56041698AA and 56041699AA are the after-cat ones,
they have a black heat shield on the wiring. The other two, 56041702AA and
56041706AA have a white shield on the wiring, and probably are the ones that
go before the cats. No idea which go on the driver's or passenger's sides,
though.

Normally, I'd solve this by taking off one at a time, either marking it as to
which is which or just matching it up to the new one. But I took the OEM ones
off in October and had to cut up the wiring harnesses to mount the
replacement Bosch sensors, so that's not going to work. I was somewhat
surprised to find that the parts computer just lists "SENSORS O2" with four
part numbers and no indication which is which.