Re: RE: Help needed: O2 Sensor part numbers

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 23:24:51 EDT

On Friday 23 May 2008 10:01 am, Bernd D. Ratsch wrote:
> 56041698AA right front
> 56041699AA left front
> 56041702AA right rear
> 56041706AA left rear

You already know this, but for the archives I'll confirm that these are
correct. Swapped all four of them out yesterday. I disconnected the battery
while I was working to clear the computer's learned fuel map. So far, so
good. The truck's running better now.

While I was in there (again!) on that passenger side upper o2 sensor, I think
I finally figured out where the wiring harness connector is supposed to be
mounted. I asked about this on the list last year, and nobody else seemed to
know either. I found a threaded stud on the firewall:

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/dak-o2/img_0506.jpg

that I was able to put the little sheetmetal bracket thing that holds the
connector and what looks like a vent tube from the transmission on. If this
is the right place for it, I don't know what's supposed to hold it in place,
but I found a nylon wingnut at the local hardware store labled as being a
Chrystler air cleaner nut that is about the right size and shape, and the
nylon is soft enough that I didn't have to figure out what thread size and
pitch this stud uses, I was able to just force the wing nut on there to hold
the bracket:

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/dak-o2/img_0523.jpg

This also made plugging the sensor in to the harness a lot easier, since now
the connector isn't wandering around all over the place.

A few other interesting things. The new sensors come with factory style
connector plugs, but without the little red locking tab things that made
getting the originals off the first time such a pain. I don't think they were
actually needed, and I guess somebody at Mopar came to the same conclusion.

Bernd, if you were wondering what kind of crazy splice connector Bosch uses,
here's what it looks like:

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/dak-o2/img_0549.jpg

The grey things in the middle are screw together plastic body things, with a
metal center. The yellow things are rubber (neoprene?) seals to keep the dust
and dirt out of things. The whole mess fits inside the rectangular black
thing, which also supports the splice.