good news bad news

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 10:42:02 EDT

Hey DML, it's been a while since I've posted... time for an update.
For those interested, my house is almost liveable... I'm installing
drywall this week. All that's left is flooring and finish work!

First the bad news. I crashed my truck. To give you an idea of the
magnitude, I rolled it onto it's side. Happened a little more than a
week ago. The only injury is to my pride. I climbed out without a
scratch (praise God). Here's what happened: Was driving to my house on
Rt-87 (an old farm road turned into a highway... speed limit is 35,
typical speed is 55). I was traveling about 65 up a hill. I was
momentarily distracted (cell phone rang - just wondered who called,
wasn't going to answer) and drifted half off the road. I corrected
back to the left to avoid hitting the speed limit sign, but the right
tires were in some stagnant muck (because of poor storm drainage). I
corrected further... which turned out to be too much. I missed the
sign by inches as I jumped back into the road and quickly across the
yellow lines. I steered to the right but overcorrected again and lost
control. The rear end took over, I spun around, and impacted
tires-first into a small embankment... facing the wrong direciton but
back on the side I had started. The impact was hard enough to tip me
over... hard. I was simply slammed into my door. As always, I was
wearing my seatbelt. I never hit the brakes and was trying to use the
gas and clutch to straighten out.

The damage:
-Two severely bent wheels (Jeep steel wheels); the BFG A/T KO tires
were un-damaged and still fully-inflated! Unbelieveable. I love these
tires.
-Bent rear axleshaft (the flange and a couple studs are bent)
-Torn CV boot, lots of contamination, and some nasty grinding &
binding in the joint.
-Body damage to bed (bed rail is bent)
-Body damage to lower part of door; it will need to be re-aligned.

The good news. No injuries. No glass damage. No damage to
convertible-only parts (except the door... but it's repairable). I've
fixed all the mechanical damage caused by the crash (except for front
alignment). I'll live with the body damage for a while.

Before I drive it again, though, I'm going to replace the motor
mounts. They're pretty bad. I hate replacing 4wd Dak motor mounts. Any
suggestions/tips/tricks for making it easier?

Don in CT
89 Dak Vert 318 NV3500 4x4 "If you can read this, flip me over"
74 Dart Sport 340