Truck won't start (longish)

From: Jon N. Benignus (blkwidow1@primary.net)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2008 - 11:38:03 EDT

Hi Jon! Well the first thing that came to my head when you said
overcharging - and at 17 volts YIPE! - was a bad PCM, as that regulates
the voltage. What worrys me now is that other componants could have
been crispied by the higher voltage... Check engine light on?

I would also have your battery load tested to make sure it didnt get
cooked from the overcharge condition. As for the PCM, hard for me to
sit back and say "go buy a reman unit and try it", because I can't say
for sure that will fix it.

Funny you mentioned the check engine light...it doesn't come on when the key is
turned. Forgot to mention that.
That didn't happen until it quit running, as I checked for codes that day and it
was working. (got no codes except for the usual 12 & 55)
It may have come on and the overvoltage cooked it. It was getting dark last
night and I don't have a garage, so I called it a day and settled in for the
night.