Semi OT: 442 is home and Crapota tale...Dakota tale

From: Zito, James A (GE Infra, Energy) (james.zito@ge.com)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2008 - 21:34:23 EDT

Even the great joy in my heart from finally getting to drive my 69 442
conv today was almost erased by all the BS involved.......

Car was supposed to have been aligned yesterday, it took the alignment
shop all day and they didn't do it correctly.....no camber or caster
adjustments were done, just some work on toe, which should be the last
step in the job!!!!

So I get to the body shop and find this out, figure it shuoldn't take
them more than 1-3 hours to do it correctly, at the OTHER shop. So
Larry (body guy) follows me over there, we get right on the rack and
after about 3 hours the moron is about to set the toe and for some
reason the alignment machine stops working. After another hour of him
a$$ing around with the machine we end up using an electric cord to set
the toe.

NEEDLESS to say, the car will be heading to my local, and trusted
alignment guy soon for a redo.

So that gets done, head back to body shop, put in passenger seat and
retractor, Larry jumps in my truck and we head to my place, stopping in
for an inspection on the way. At the inspection station I realize I'd
forgotten the registration in his shop. Luckily they were able to give
me a sticker without it, usually that is the first thing they ask
for......today it was just $29 please ;-(

Gas up the car - $60

Go home, Larry helps me shove my brother's 68 442 conv a little further
into the back of the barn, park mine in there, and jump in truck to take
him home. Bloody feed me light is on on the truck, head to the cheaper
gas station, another $61 to fill it. Head back to Pascoag, RI.

DML content
Blasting down 295 and hear an odd noise from the left front of the
crapota, say to Larry, "That sound like a wheel bearing to you?" He
says, "It didn't make that noise on the way up......but yes it does."

Drop him off grab about half of my olds junk out of his shop, still
can't find my walnut ball, well bro's car can donate one for now...it's
aready given it's radio........and head home.

Get home confirm that it's the wheelbearing, call local parts place,
they have one, well 2 a good one and a crappy one, tire back on and over
I head. About 1.5 hours later truck all quiet.

No further work on the 442 today, still needs inner door panels, new top
cylinders (arrive Tues), steering collumn adjustment wheel about 90'
off, trimming of the tailpipes in the trumpets, find the ornament part
of the headlight handle, and shifter top plate.

Jim
almost all the parts are back on the 442!!!
03 Dak missing 2 cylinders

PS pictures up @ http://s85.photobucket.com/k67/MrWhipple1/
3 from BBQ and 2 of replacing the bushings in my shocks on the Dak