Re: Gas price map

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 19:30:03 EDT

"Dustin Williams" <dustinewilliams@gmail.com> wrote:

> The one time I got 85 octane was in West Windover, NV, since I had
> been driving in mountains all day I was figuring that I would start
> getting better gas mileage going across the salt flats. With the lower
> octane fuel I got 13 mpg, where I was doing 17.5 earlier that day. I
> put in 92 octane in SLC and over the next 300 miles I got just shy of
> 18 mpg. I'm sure the computers can compensate but my truck, with a
> 1000 or 1500 lb payload doing 80 mph down the freeway in the mountains
> could sure tell the difference.

    That flat is only 4200' or so, possibly what happened there is the
elevation wasn't quite high enough to warrant the 85 octane and you
were getting into some preignition. Maybe not bad enough to hear it
pinging, but enough to screw up the flame front and kill your economy
and power. Probably you would have been better off getting 92 in
Wendover and then back to 85 in SLC, just before you headed back up
into the mountains. The elevation goes up to 7,000 or so pretty quick
as you head east out of SLC, which might have been high enough for the
85 to run without preignition.

--
                                          -Jon-