Re: Turn-key 5.2L Magnum engine

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 11:42:02 EDT

Dan Kramarsky <dkramarsky68@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hypothetically speaking....

> If I wanted to purchase a remanufactured 5.2L Magnum engine that was nearly ready to go ( i.e. just add T.B. , fuel rails, air hat, coolant, oil & the accessories ).....

> Where would I go?

> The engine I am looking for would *look* exactly like a stock motor from the outside ( this is becuase it street driven ) but with:

> * better than stock cam
> * upgrade roller rockers.
> * perhaps some porting of the heads.

> Goal is: 270 to 290 HP at the flywheel on pump gas with a mild cam and Mopar PCM.

> Is this something I should go to a performance shop like:
> Hughes Engines or KRC Performance?
> Or can I go to a engine reman business like:
> Marshall Engines or Jasper Engines.

   I don't know if this will have an effect on your plan or not, but
you can pretty easily meet your horsepower goals without the cam,
rockers, or head porting. I know this because my '96 Dak has about
270hp at the flywheel - it dyno'd at 235 to the rear wheels, and I
figured about 15% drivetrain loss to arrive at the 270. (It measured
293lb-ft at the rear wheels, which would be about 340lb-ft at the
flywheel, assuming the same 15% drivetrain loss.)

   My Dak has no internal engine work done, its all bolt-ons (MP PCM,
180 degree t-stat, underdriven pulleys, K&N air filter, JBA headers,
ATR 2.5" to 3" Y pipe, 3" single exhaust all the way back, ported
throttle body, MP M1 MPI intake manifold).

   So, you don't necessarily even need to go the machine shop route to
meet your goal, the standard production engine with bolt-ons would do
the trick. If you're looking for more power, a cam swap and the
roller rockers can certainly be done at home, and if you are feeling
adventurous, you may want to check to see if MP still sells its head
porting template set, which allows you to port the heads yourself
also.

   Another possible option to consider is that if you are planning to
go out and purchase an engine anyway, you may want to swap in the 360
instead of a 318. The extra cubes will certainly help, and the cost
would be about the same.

--
                                          -Jon-