Re: Rusty Chrome bumper

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Oct 06 2008 - 22:33:56 EDT

Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@comcast.net> wrote:
> jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
>> Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>>The chrome bumper on my 99 has started to show some rust-cracks.
>>>I found this:
>>>http://www.truckmod.com/directpart.asp?vencode=T12&partnumber=31012
>>>but I am thinking that now might be the time to upgrade unless I can
>>>find one cheap, say a roll pan takeoff. Whatever I put on, I need to
>>>retain the ability to stand on it. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Do you care if its chrome? If not, I'd just media blast it (or
>> sand/grind/wire wheel/etc. if you have the patience and time) and then
>> hit it with some of that DIY bedliner stuff. Even if you have someone
>> else do the blasting, that's probably your cheapest option. Plus, you
>> know its gonna fit since its on the truck already. :-)
>>

> I like it to be shiny [opposite of J&N], but it also has some dents.. I
> was considering taking it off and doing it up in almost chrome powder
> but the oven is an issue..

   Yeah, in that case, its gonna cost you, one way or the other. A
hammer and some bondo would take care of the dents if you're just
going to use herculiner or something, but a shiny or glossy surface is
another story.

   I do actually have the infrared light used for curing large
objects; I've only used it a couple of times, and wasn't really happy
with the results; you can only cure a section at a time, and I think
it must be critical to get the cure times the same, it came out kinda
blotchy.

   There are no doubt some powdercoating shops around you that would
have an oven big enough for the bumper, though of course then you're
getting back into spending money, and I dunno if you'd be happy with
the chrome powdercoat. Some of them are pretty good, but they are
definitely no competition to real nickel/chrome plating. Having your
existing bumper plated is an option of course, but from the sounds of
it, there is a decent amount of prep work involved, so that option is
likely to be as spendy as just buying a new one.

   Maybe cruise eBay/craigslist for someone parting out a Dak?

--
                                          -Jon-