Re: Larger gas tank?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Nov 12 2008 - 16:56:27 EST

"Zito, James A (GE Infra, Energy)" <james.zito@ge.com> wrote:

>> suppose that vent line technically could just hang out in the breeze
>> (with a check valve or filter on the end) as long as it was above the
>> top of both tanks, but then you will have gas fumes coming out the end
>> whenever you fill up, which may be problematic...

>> - --
>> -Jon-

> Funny, cars had just that situation for close to a
> century................
> It wasn't until they started with all the emissions BS that vent lines
> started to be run through charcoal canisters or back into the
> engine.......

   I probably should have clarified that statement - it was not my
intent to come across as some sort of enviro-fascist, i.e. "Waahhh,
don't vent your fumes into my precious atmosphere", so I apologize if
that was not clear. I was thinking strictly about the safety aspect.
If someone were to do something like have a vent line exit right
near their catalytic converter, or a poorly insulated electrical
connection, with today's sealed gas tanks and fuel filler necks where
the nozzle fits pretty tight, most of the air in the tank will vent
out that tube, as opposed to back out the filler neck, like they would
in the good ol' days where the filler tube was the size of a sewer
pipe. In actual driving, it shouldn't be a problem because that tube
would serve to suck in air from the outside, but on fillup, something
like 3 cubit feet of flammable vapor will exit that tube and may
collect in that area, so I was just trying to say that some careful
thought should be given to is placement, if that technique of venting
were to be used. (i.e. don't put it near anything hot, or anything
electrical, and not in a confined space where the fumes might tend to
collect as opposed to dissapating.)

   Oh, and just to clarify further, when I mentioned that the line
should have a filter on the end, I was merely thinking of preventing
foreign debris or water from entering the fuel system, not something
along the lines of a charcoal filter or the like, to "clean" the
vapors.

   Thank you for this opportunity to clarify my statement. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-