Autromatics

From: Azie L. Magnusson (maggie11@mchsi.com)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2008 - 10:18:09 EST

Andy writes: >> I would be a LOT happier with the
performance of my Outback if I could drop it a gear as
needed instead of hoping the slushbox figures out
what I want. <<

I don't know about all other vehicles, but all that I own have
a shift lever that has gear selections and/or buttons that
are for manually selecting the gear or gear range that you
feel is more adequate for the particular situation. I use
mine frequently, and especially when pullint or hauling
a load in hill country and around the farm.. My '95 has
240,000+ miles on it and has never had a problem.
I've loaded it unmercifully and pulled a trailer from
Canton, Michigan with an F250 4X4 on it and also
pulled the same trailer from Yadkinville, NC with a
'56 Merc on it. If the tranny controls don't select what I
think is the proper gear for the particular situation, then
I'll make it by selecting the gear I fell is necessary for
that situation. Coming back from Michigan I ran all
the way back in 3rd gear(No OD). The lockup still
works in 3rd, so there is no unnecessary heat generated
by the TC. I service everything regularly and do not
jerk, or jack rabbit start it but I'm not afraid to load
it. Chrysler autos(with the exception of the A500) are
much simpler and cheaper to overhaul than either Ford
or GM and IMHO as reliable as the Ford C6, which I
consider to be the most reliable of any car/truck auto.
(That is not considering the allison autos in large trucks).
When cruising around not loaded the Electronics is very
adequate IMHO.

I don't carry a gun because I want to
shoot someone. I carry a gun because
I want to die at a ripe old age in my