Re: Need Computer Help This Time

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2008 - 11:15:32 EST

Terrible Tom wrote:

>> Have you tried any of the Ubuntu forums? You'll probably get
>> better information there.
>
> I admit I've hesitated a little to post there - due to my
> inexperiance with Linux... thought I would try my own backyard for
> help first - before I started hitting other forums.

Ubuntu is newbie friendly by design. The community is probably the best
thing about it, their mission is to be THE user-friendly distro. It's
not like Debian where you have to grovel before the Great Oracle before
they'll stoop so low as to look at your question. The Ubuntu forums are
genuinely there to help.

> Well Ubuntu 8.10 (Sorry Jason for my version number faux pau!...

No worries, it looked weird to me at first as well, until I realized
that they're basing their numbers off of the date. 8.1 would have been
January :-).

> The problems stem from throttling the CUP up to a full speed of 2.83
> Ghz - its native and marketed speed.

Layton's Law of Differential Debugging (named after a guy I used to work
with): "If it used to work, and you changed something, and now it
doesn't work anymore, then it's probably something you changed."

I would say that if the CPU works at low speed, but not at high speed,
and that's the only thing you changed, then it's probably the CPU. You
said in your first post that you've tried each of the two DRAM modules
on their own. My feeling is that it's pretty unlikely that you'd get
two bad DRAMs, unless they had a bad manufacturing batch.

The CPU core clock isn't messing around with the bus timings, is it?
The DRAM is clocked separately from the CPU, so as long as the memory
bus isn't changing, then changing the CPU speed won't affect the memory.

> True - more heat would - but I can physically verify that the CPU is
> not running hot... the Zalman CPU cooler unit I installed is a big
> honkin hunk of copper and its cool to the touch. This quad core runs
> far cooler than my AMD X2 Dual core 3.0Ghz (125w) 90nm CPU.

Sounds like you got it installed okay, but remember that the cooler is
supposed to absorb heat from the CPU and release it to the environment.
Like a radiator. If your rad is cool to the touch, that either means it
isn't pulling any heat, or it's doing an incredible job of dissipating
it. In your case, it very well could be the second possibility.

> I dont want to just start RMA'ing parts at random.

I've never had to use Newegg's tech support... do they have one? Could
you call and describe the problem to them, and see what they want to do?
They might just go ahead and RMA everything and test it at their lab,
or they might tell you what parts to try first. At least if you get on
the records with them, then you won't have to worry about going past the
deadline. If you contact them within the warranty period, then they
have to fix it, even if it takes them longer than the length of the
warranty to fix everything.

Just a couple of thoughts.