RE: Sport Club Cab AWD won't shift out of Park

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@dodgetrucks.org)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 13:20:24 EST

It's a cable under the steering column.

- Bernd

-----Original Message-----
From: Fearless Fred [mailto:fxallen@shaw.ca]
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 12:16 PM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: DML: Sport Club Cab AWD won't shift out of Park

HELP!!!

My 2001 Dakota Sport Club Cab AWD won't shift out of Park.

Noticed a few times recently that the column shift handle seemed a bit hard
to move the odd time.

This morning, on a friends level driveway, when I went to leave I couldn't
move the column shift out of the Park position.

Since I was also blocking his vehicle in his driveway I finally crawled
under the Dakota and popped the shift linkage off of the transmission lever,
moved this lever by hand andwe pushed it out of his driveway.

I'm told that there is a solenoid somewhere in the column that releases the
shift lever from a signal from the brake pedal? Brake lights are working
fine.

Any troubleshooting/repair help on this greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Fred