Re: Dak Wheel Cylinder Woes

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Dec 19 2008 - 10:33:09 EST

"Don Rey" <radon220@gmail.com> wrote:

> With the brakes on my Dak feeling spongy (quick bleed job last time),
> I went to bleed them again. Last time, which was ~6 months ago, I
> replaced the rear wheel cylinders because the bleed nipples broke off.
> Well, guess what! The bleed nipples broke off again. ~6 months old.
> How does one avoid this with the new cheapazz chinametal? Is teflon
> tape a good idea on the bleed nipple threads? Or better yet, any
> sources on decent quality wheel cylinders? I got the last ones from
> AZ.

   Ouch! That sucks. :-(

   One thing that comes to mind is there may be some sort of galvanic
reaction taking place there; seems like both parts should be steel,
but maybe one has a coating which is creating some sort of reaction.
It might also cheap nipples. If you get another AZ wheel cylinder, it
may be worth chucking the nipple that's on there and replacing it with
a higher quality one?

   If 'twere me, I'd check out the existing cylinders (pulling them
out if necessary) to see if the broken nipple can be extracted; if so,
that's save you some money over new ones.

   Another thought, since the cylinders usually come as bare metal, it
might be worthwhile to hit 'em with some rattle paint prior to
re-installing, and possibly spread some heavy grease (or vaseline)
around the nipple area to try and prevent moisture and oxygen from
ever reaching the threads.

   I have used teflon on my brake bleeders; I think its ok as long as
you are careful to wrap it in such a way that its not likely to break
off bits of it to float around in the brake fluid. If you don't need
the sealing aspects of the tape though, and are just looking to
prevent the sticking, I'd be inclined to use a bit of anti-sieze
instead.

--
                                          -Jon-