Re: Buying a 1989 vs. 1991+ 1st Gen Dakotas

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2008 - 15:47:42 EST

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 12:11 PM, David Gersic
<info@zaccaria-pinball.com> wrote:

> On Friday 26 December 2008 08:28 pm, Matt Beazer wrote:
>> I have an opportunity to buy a '89 Dakota V6 4x4 long bed with 120k on
>> it from a co-worker who needs something "bigger".
>
> I have an '01 V6 4x4 here. I don't know what changed from '89 to '01, but it's
> sufficiently powerful for driving around with. If you're not planning on
> towing, you may find the V6 sufficient, especially with a 4Lo option if you
> need the extra torque.

Pre-91 trucks recieved the premag V6 (the Magnum engines of '91+
offered MPFI instead of TBI, head redesign, and a myriad of other
changes). the premag V6 was rather underpowered in my opinion. It's
torquey and sufficient for hauling whatever weight the suspension will
handle or a small boat/trailer/etc. But you'll be disappointed trying
to climb a significant hill at 65mph (on the hwy for example). I
swapped my premag 6 for a magnum 318. doubled the power and maintained
the same fuel mileage.

>> * The '89 Currently has Pirelli Scorpion tires on it, unsure what size,
>> but I'd like to go at least 31x10.5 on the stock 15" rims, though I'd
>> prefer 32x11.5 for the extra ground clearance and width, but I have
>> doubts on being able to do this without a more extensive lift or body lift.
>
> Search the archives for tyre sizes that fit. There have been previous threads
> on what will and won't fit under the fenders. I'm a big fan of the Yokohama
> Geolander AT tyres for good all-around performance. I'm in the Chicago area,
> and they're good for wet and snow.

The 31x10.5 won't fit on stock rims at stock height. However, I was
able to fit that size on mine with Jeep steel wheels after cranking
the torsion bars up (level). The Jeep wheels are spaced further
outboard (don't ask me if that's positive or negative backspace now...
i'm hungover)

>> * Other exhaust upgrades... anyone have a good recommendation on a
>> free-flow muffler that's not too horribly loud (silence is not a
>> requirement) and still sounds ok? 3" piping from the cat back, correct?
>
> I wouldn't go as big as 3" on a V6, you'll lose too much exhaust velocity that
> way.

3" is completely unnecessary for the V6. The premag V6 won't even
fully use the 2-1/4" pipes it comes with.

I can give you a more thorough reply later this week. I need to
recover and clean my house first lol.

Don in CT
89 Dak Vert 318 NV3500 4x4
74 Dart Sport 340