Re: Re: DML Digest V5 #3615

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jan 07 2009 - 14:20:19 EST

"Rick Suter" <rick.suteriii@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am considering a newer Dakota if i can't seem to get my 1999 up for
> a NH->FLA->NH trip.

   Its almost certain to be cheaper to use the Dak you've got rather
than buy another, but if you're just hankerin' for a new Dak and need
to rationalize it that way, don't let me stand in your way! :-)

> what's the story on pricing? I see 20-40K mile 2005+s (4x4, decent
> options) from $12,000 on up.. How much for 08 or 09s from the Dodge
> boys these days? I suspect they can't be the stickers of 30K+++,
> right?

    I haven't checked pricing myself recently (I don't really pay
attention to new car prices since I am too cheap to buy new vehicles),
but I think it is pretty easy to spend $30K+ on a Dak these days. :-(
I know Ed (fellow DMLer) plays around with pricing on the Dodge site
every now and again, and IIRC, it seems like he told me that he was
able to price out a Dak over $40K a little while ago! I could be
mistaken, if he sees this maybe he will chime in, but I think that's
right. (If that's the case, things have definitely gotten out of
hand. When I think of a $40K truck, I picture a fully loaded 1 ton
diesel, not a midsize!)

> I'd like a 05+, blue, extended cab, 4.7, <30k miles, leather would be
> nice. There seem to be TONS of crew cabs.. :-(

   Yeah, the quad cab seems to be the way most folks go these days;
can't really say that I blame them though, they've got great utility.
IIRC, you were looking to do some towing on your trip. I'm not real
familiar with the GenIV trucks, but I'd definitely do some research on
their towing ability before pulling the trigger. Korey Atterberry
towed a pop-up to the National DML meet with his '05 a couple of years
ago, and I know he was really dissapointed with the performance. In
fact, just after the meet, he replaced the Dak with a 5.7L Tundra which
apparently handled the load much better. Sucks to see a Dak replaced
by a Toy, but if it can't handle the job, there's not much else for
it... Korey has a blog at http://www.atterberry.net, in case you're
interested in contacting him to see if he can give you some firsthand
info about his towing experience with the GenIV Dak.

--
                                          -Jon-