Re: Exhaust size question

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jan 21 2009 - 11:56:45 EST

   I agree with Ray and Bernd - I don't think you'd see an advantage
to going with a 3.5" system over 3", especially if the 3" already uses
mandrel bends. If you are in the mood for some exhaust fabrication,
you may want to take a look at your Y pipe. That can be fairly
restrictive, and oftentimes, the driver's side tube has a rather
severe crimp in it. Many moons ago, I swapped mine out for a
stainless Y pipe made by ATR. It has 2.5" primaries with a 3"
collector and is mandrel bent. I don't even know if those are
available anymore; actually, I think I read that the company no longer
exists (If you are trying to locate them, someone in the turbo Buick
community may be of assistance, as I think that was their main focus).
Anyway, if you are handy with a welder, that might be a project to
consider.

   Unfortunately I don't have any before/after data to give you, but
if you're thinking of putting some money into the exhaust, the 2.5"
bends are probably cheaper and more plentiful than 3.5", and there's
less pipe involved. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-