Re: 5 speed Manual questions

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2009 - 21:17:14 EST

Matt Beazer wrote:

> Is the 5 speed manual behind the 1992-1996 Dakotas the "same" between
> the V8 and V6 models, or are they different strength wise? I know the
> automatics have the same case and basic design but the V8 version is
> designed with stronger internals. I was asking due to the concept of a
> V6 to V8 swap in a 5 speed truck. Finding a 318 to swap in would be
> easier without having to deal with the tranny too.

Odds are if you have a V6 Gen II with a 5 speed, you have an AX-15 transmission - which was
also found in Cherokees. I don't know that I would want that transmission behind a V8. The
NP3500 was the transmission behind the V8.

> Also, were the transfer cases in the V6s weaker than those in the V8 models?

 From 87 saw a NP207 T-case which was weaker than the NP231 that replaced it. From 88-96 you
should see NP231 T-cases. I won't say they are all interchangeable because Mike Maskalans has
found out that they are not. Input shaft differences seem to be the thing.

If you want a V6-V8 upgrade, you will want to change transmissions, which means you might need
to change T-cases. Depends on if there is any shaft differences between the AX-15 and the NP3500.

> Thanks,
>
> MattB

"Man is the only kind of varmnit [who] sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it"
-John Steinbeck