Re: Computer Based Garage Heat (was 09 BBQ)

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2009 - 18:46:53 EST

Barry Oliver wrote:

> Zito, James A (GE Infra, Energy) wrote:
>
>> I'm currently leeching my wireless connection for someone.......here at
>> home I currently have 5 possible connections. Granted some of them have
>> security enabled. Of the 5 2 are giving my about 50% of the signal
>> strength my wireless utility shows and the others are at about 1/4
>> strength. Ooops I lied the list just jumped up to 9 signals........
>>
>> I live in a neighborhood with houses that are close together but do have
>> actual yards. I do have to admit one of the signals is from an HP
>> printer......
>>
>> So I don't know how much trouble you'd have with getting a wifi signal.
>>
>> Jim
>> Full time 2wd CC Dak missing 2 pistons
>>

> A bit of advice, stay away from extenders, spend the extra $$ to get a
> real AP and use it as a bridge if you need to.

I'll probably end up running CAT line out there, because I don't think I'm going ot have much
success with the WiFi out to the garage. I have not walked around the property to determine
where I get signal, but I get strong signal out on the patio outside my bedroom (bedroom is 2nd
floor - pario is ground level) , but if I move to the other side of the yard - between the
house and the detatched garage, signal goes away. The Wifi router is right on an outside wall
- litterally, so there is some reason it dropps off in that direction.

"Man is the only kind of varmint [who] sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it"
-John Steinbeck