Re: out of my element - 1991 no start

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Mar 02 2009 - 20:43:35 EST

Barry Oliver wrote:

> Ok, help me out here, what am I looking for? [I always ignored the
> GenI/II threads before - Except Christine of-course..]

I suppose thats a compliment heh.

The nice thing about these older systems is there is less stuff that could go wrong.

Bad battery...

Bad ignition switch...

Bad ASD relay...

There is a main power lead from the underhood wire harness into the cab under the dash. It was
getting green before Christine went in the drink... it almost fell off afterwards. THis lead
is the bigger gauge wire that supplies power to all the key-on accessories and would supply
power to click over the starter solenoid to turn over the motor. If that craps out - it will
give the "nothing does nothin" results you were describing.

If you are looking at the bulkhead connector - its the lower right bottom wire. Red, white
stripe - bigger GA the others. Check that one and see if its good.

I was trying to upload an image - but Charter is being a little bitch... so no go on the pic...

"Man is the only kind of varmint [who] sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it"
-John Steinbeck