Strange electrical problem

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 21:41:51 EDT

'01 Dakota

Recently, I've noticed something strange happening when I start my truck. It's
intermittent, but I first noticed that the usual startup chimes from the dash
were different. Instead of the normal "bing ... bing" it usually does, I get
"bing ... bi ... bi ... bi ... bing" or something like it's starting, stops,
and does it again.

The next thing I noticed was that the odometer display goes out when it does
this.

Third, which I just noticed tonight, is that if I start it with the lights on
(in the dark), the headlights flash.

It seems like a circuit breaker is opening, then closing again. But it's not
causing the engine to stall or anything, it starts fine, runs fine, and
doesn't do it after the initial couple of seconds that it takes to start and
begin to idle.

Anybody seen anything like this before?