Re: 4wd Low question

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 02:23:51 EDT

I think that I was being too much of a wuss with the shifter. I was
reading the instructions online:

"Slow the vehicle to under 3 mph (5 kmh), shift an automatic
transmission to N (Neutral) or depress the clutch on a manual
transmission. Shift the transfer case lever to the right and pull firmly
down into 4L. Do not pause in transfer case N (Neutral).
NOTE: Pausing in transfer case N (neutral) in vehicles equipped with an
automatic transmission may require shutting the engine off to avoid gear
clash while completing the shift. If difficulty occurs, shift
transmission to Neutral (N), hold foot on brake, turn engine off, and
THEN make the shift to desired mode."

I'm wondering if I hesitated and was being too limp-wristed with the
shifter. It must be noted I've never actually engaged 4wd in a truck
before, much less low range, until today. It popped into 4 high easily,
then into 4 low with a slight "thunk" sensation. It then drove fine in
4L for about 20 feet, then I went to kick it back into 4 high by coming
to a stop, putting it in N and then pushing it gingerly up. Then it
popped out of 4L and into Neutral (the 4wd light went off) but it
wouldn't go back into 4 high without grinding until I turned the engine
off, then it went in fine.

I'm hoping it was just me, since I really like the truck otherwise...
but if it suggests the transfer case is having problems I'd best avoid it..

Thanks!

MattB