Pulstar Spark Plugs

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@dodgetrucks.org)
Date: Tue Mar 31 2009 - 12:18:36 EDT

Ok...while some aftermarket plugs work really well...PLEASE - stay away from
these plugs. Especially on the 4.7L and 5.7L engines.

We just had two different vehicles (Ram 5.7L and Durango 4.7L) that came
through the dealership - both with nasty mis-fires. After checking all basic
systems (vacuum, compression, and wiring), I removed those crap plugs and
put a set of standard plugs (Ok...OEM Champions - I'd prefer NGK's) - no
more mis-fires.

The Pulstar plugs use a capacitor inside the body to "store energy"...this
is a BAD idea with wasted spark or on the 4.7L ignition systems. The Hemi's
use a Wasted Spark system and the 4.7L's use a resistance aware style system
(basically works like the old Jacobs system - they adjust spark based upon
air gap resistance and load but it's also monitored).

Save your money...at $7.00 per plug, it's not worth it. If you must, run a
set of E3 plugs and call it a day. Yes, those do work well and both in my
GF's '01 Durango 4.7L and in my '89 Nissan 240, the mileage went up about
1.5-2mpg just with the plug change (and the old plugs were not even worn
out).

- Bernd