Classic insurance Was: 2000 Bucket Seats, Huntington Beach,Ca

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri May 08 2009 - 13:50:36 EDT

Terrible Tom <silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:
> Dustin Williams wrote:
>> Most people don't have the storage and
>> don't want to pay the insurance for a whole fleet.
>>

> LOL - can't argue with ya about the Dakota vs Ram thing. I still can't convince myself to
> like the newer Daks. As for the Ram I own? Its honestly more of a toy than a work truck -
> however it does get used for some towing and hauling. I bought it more on impulse than
> anything. In retrospect - I'm sorry I didn't buy a Gen III Dak when they were new. Would have
> been more practical. And I don't have the whole fleet insured either. No point in having
> insurance on stuff that doesn't run.

Tom,

  You might want to look into classic insurance, for your GenIs at
least. I don't know if that is an option or not, every company is
different. I have my '90 Dak on a classic policy. Granted, it is a
convertible and thus a limited production vehicle, but many companies
just base it on age I think. Christine is 20 years old now, and
sometimes 15 years is all you need to qualify.

  Classic insurance is nice because it is dirt cheap in comparison to
everyday driver type insurance, and it is a better policy to boot,
because it is based on an agreed value as opposed to actual cash value
or stated value. Basically, you and the insurance company agree on
the value of the vehicle, and if it is totalled, that is what you will
receive, not a depreciated amount or something based on market value.
Many policies also compensate for inflation, increasing the agreed
values automatically each year. (Of course, you can also change the
amount if necessary based on market conditions.)

  Another nice thing about classic insurance as far as the cost goes
is the norm seems to be having one liability charge, and adding more
vehicles only increases the value by the comp/collission amount. A
standard insurance policy will sock you with an additional liability
charge for each vehicle you add, which is a huge rip off since YOU are
the one who is covered by the liability portion (not the vehicle) and
you can only drive one vehicle at a time. This is a nice savings when
you are insuring a "fleet" :-) in addition to the already really low
classic rates.

  I have been using http://www.classicins.com for a few years now. I
haven't had to make a claim yet, but I am very happy with their rates
and customer service so far; plus they don't seem to be as restrictive
as far as what you can do with the car as other collector companies.
(With some collector policies, it seems like just looking at your car
will void the coverage.) ;-)

  Anyhoo, it doesn't cost anything to get a quote - might be worth
taking a look into anyway. If your vehicle and use qualifies, its a
huge savings and you can have your vehicle(s) protected all year
round. I don't have my insurance info right in front of me here, but
if you are interested, I'd be glad to look it up and let you know what
my coverages and cost is.

--
                                          -Jon-