Re: front hubs/wheel bearings

From: Eric (huffy340@gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 19 2009 - 23:32:00 EDT

> My 2001 2wd quad cab needs front wheel bearings. I understand
> that the front hub is sealed, requiring a new hub as opposed to
> replacing just the bearings.

Pretty sure that's the same setup as my 99 2wd. I and another
listmember (mml or dml, not sure) had trouble with aftermarket
bearings.

The one i got from rockauto was looser than the bad one i was
replacing.

The one from mopar was a lot more expensive, but was good.

2 more gotchas:

You are supposed to get a new spindle nut, since there is a
nylon "retainer" that gets grooved by the threads. I have heard of
people reusing them, but that thought gives me the willies, so i
got new ones.

The torque on the nut is very high. I can look up the number, but
it's higher that what a "normal" wrench goes to.

eric