RE: RE: Electric fan power source

From: teseract@moparhowto.com
Date: Sat May 23 2009 - 16:18:55 EDT

I've got a Derale 16759 adjustable temperature unit coming that has a built in
A/C override circuit. Has a 30amp relay, so I figured that should be
sufficient. Picked it up from Summit for 40 bucks (part# DER-16759). Some of
the 97-2004 Dakota guys and some of the Jeep guys are using the fan assembly
from a 90-95 3.8Lv6 Taurus from the pick-n-pull lots to replace the belt driven
fan. I found it at Rockauto on one of their wholesaler closeout deals new for
$42, so I figured what the heck. It's a 2 speed fan, but I'll just hook up the
high speed as I don't feel like dinking with all the relays needed to use the
low speed for AC and the high speed for cooling.

After I asked this question last night I was laying in bed thinking about it
and felt a bit stupid after I realized what people have told me on the list
today - I don't need a key on source for the main amp draw due to the relay.
Duh. Between this and the Hella 500 driving lamps I need to install I'm going
to be in wiring heck for a while.

I just hate the clutch fan... I don't like the roar of it when I first start
the truck, I don't like the load on the water pump bearings, I don't like the
hazard of working on a running engine with it spinning away, I don't like the
load on the engine when the clutch is engaged, and I would really like to have
better A/C at low speeds.

Thanks,

MattB