Re: 97-04 2wd Dak Front Wheel Bearings

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 22:33:51 EDT

Brian wrote:

> Non-abs trucks do not have ABS hubs. My truck doesn't haave front wheel ABS
> and the hubs do not have the ABS ring on them. Pluss the ABS version of the
> hub is more expensive.
>
> brian cropp

just a note of interest... I normally see just that at work, ABS hubs - with the sensor are
more money then the non-ABS hubs.

Not true for my 01 Ram. The non-ABS hub cost more money than the ABS unit. That might be an
indicator most of the trucks came with ABS. Generally speaking, between two or more options
for a part... the lower cost and/or items that are in stock... are the more common parts.

I bought and installed an ABS hub in my Ram. The Ram units - at least this one... has the
sensor built into the hub - vs an external ring and pick up. I thought about removing the
sensor and lead and selling it, as its just bolted to the hub... but then I would have had an
issue of how to properly seal up the hole it would have left - to prevent dirt and crud from
getting in there. I ended up just cutting the wire off.

"Man is the only kind of varmint [who] sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it"
-John Steinbeck