Hot Hot Hot

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 04:15:30 EDT

Well, I found out some good news and some bad news today... the good
news is I found out my '95 Sport V8 has a limited slip rear end (spun
the wires with the rear end in the air... both went the same
direction) and skidplates. The downside is I drove it the first time
in hot weather (90 degrees) and it came real close to overheating.

I drove in stop and go traffic and it hit 3/4ths of the gauge before I
killed the AC. The rest of the trip (35 minutes) it varied from half
to 3/4ths with the AC off. When I stopped for 15 minutes it got cool
again, and stayed that way on the highway until I got in city traffic
again, then it hit half before I stopped. Normally it sits at 1/4.

The upper hose is firm so the system is pressurizing fine, it has a
new radiator cap and a brand new water pump, serpentine belt and
tensioner.

I don't know if the clutch fan isn't engaging properly (it doesn't
seem to be pulling much air when it's hot) or if I need a new
radiator, or if I just have an air bubble in the system still after I
changed the water pump. Is there an air purge procedure I need to do?
Either that or the aluminum chunks from my bad water pump have clogged
the radiator core...

Anyone have any opinions on Sherman radiators? Rock auto has a 2 row
Sherman unit for $127 that looks to be made of aluminum that's spec'ed
for the 318... I like all the equipment this truck has, but it's sure
taking a chunk out of my wallet. :p So much for getting the MP PCM
next paycheck...

Thanks,

MattB