Re: Hot Hot Hot

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 22:37:18 EDT

Eric <huffy340@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > The upper hose is firm so the system is pressurizing fine, it
>> > has a new radiator cap and a brand new water pump, serpentine
>> > belt and tensioner.
>>
>> Make sure that the lower hose isn't collapsing.

> If it's good on the highway and not around town, i don't think it's
> a collapsing hose, since the pump is going slower around town. But
> do speak up if i am wrong!

   I guess it would depend on how you are driving. The pump speed
is proportional to the engine RPM, so if you are loafing along on the
highway at 2,000 rpm in overdrive, accellerating in a lower gear to
4,000 or 5,000 rpm in town would spin the pump much faster. Plus, on
the highway at speed you'd have much better flow through the radiator,
so even if it was partially collapsed and thus the flow was
restricted, the heat transfer inside the radiator itself would be
better and could compensate.

   Just my thoughts - I don't think that having good cooling on the
highway necessarily eliminates lower hose collapse, but I could be
wrong, and if so someone else please speak up! :-)

--
                                          -Jon-