Quality time with the Dakota

From: Zito, James A (GE Infra, Energy) (james.zito@ge.com)
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 20:14:00 EDT

Dakota getting a new clutch at aboot 165k, and it isn't cooperating.

Ok lads rather than bore everyone with all the gory details, I'll give
the cliff notes version tonite.

Found 2 items which were causing driveline noise....
A. Muffler clamp between the cat and muffler had come loose.
2. Rear u-joint is bad.

Progress so far....
Drive shaft out.
Head pipe flanges loose, need to punch the busted bolts out of the
manifolds.
Slave unbolted.
Starter unbolted.

Questions:
How do I get the exhaust pipes apart? They seem to have grown attached
to each other.
How many bolts between the tranny and engine? I'm hoping only 4.....
Is there enuff slack in the harnesses that I can just slide the tranny
back and swap the clutch?

Jim
03 Dak on jackstands

PS What F*ing moron @ Chrysler had the bright idea to weld regular nuts
to the x-member under the driveshaft center bearing? Craftsman nut
extractors work really well.........