Re: Taurus Fan Update

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Fri Jun 19 2009 - 19:38:51 EDT

I'm the first to admit I'm no electrical expert. I went for 80 amps
since I figured I'd want it to pop right over the rated amp holding for
the relay. I was worried that the initial start up draw would trip the
breaker if I went too low with the rating... I didn't want to order
something that would trip every time it tried to start the fan.

I suppose I could put the 60 amp inline fuse in there if it comes down to
it? I'm going to have my father help out with the wiring to be safe, he
used to repair electronics for a living.

MattB

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:25:05 -0400, Brian wrote:

> ---"80 Amp automotive breaker:
> ---75 Amp heavy-duty relay:
>
> ---Much of this is overkill -- the fan pulls 40amps continuous, so a
> 75amp ---relay is overkill, as is the breaker, but it's better than
> taking a risk ---of melting a cheap 40 amp relay."
>
> If the fan only pulls 40 amps continuous, and maybe spikes to 50-60amps
> on initial start up, the 80 amp circuit breaker isn't what I'd call
> overkill, but not enough. You want the amp rating to be closer to the
> actual draw. That way if there is a problem, it will trip the
> breaker/fuse long before it causes any damage to the rest of your
> components. Ideally you want your breaker/fuse to be lower than your
> relay, right now of the parts you bought(other than the fan) the relay
> is your weak link and could possibly be damaged before the breaker gets
> tripped.
>

> brian cropp

rectifier_diode.jpg
> 8 gauge ring terminals:
> http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/ring_terminals.jpg
>
> I picked up the wire and terminals, relay and breaker cheap online at
> http://www.nulime.com. I had to order the rectifier diodes separately.
> The rectifier diode is just to bleed off any voltage being returned from
> the fan if it turns into a generator due to airflow when it's off to
> prevent feedback into the relay.
>
> Also included in the amp wiring set I picked up (it was like 11 bucks
> and included all the wiring and some extra stuff) is an inline fuse
> holder (only 60 amps though):
> http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/
alternative_fuse.jpg

> If you want to save the 30 bucks on the breaker then I'd get one of the
> above inline water resistant fuse holders with an 80amp fuse. I went
> with the breaker since I figured it was more durable than a fuse, and
> it's easier to flip a breaker during an accidental overload than it is
> to find an 80 amp fuse on the side of the road. Plus it'll make it
> easier if I need to pull the rad fan to make sure all power is
> disconnected rather than unplugging the battery.
>
> I plan to hook it all up, then use a friend's automotive scanner to
> watch the temp reading from the coolant temp sensor to set the fan
> kickon temp to around 195 degrees, that way it won't run on the highway
> if it's getting enough air in the front end to keep cool.
>
> I'm thinking of going to the local automotive junkyard and see if I can
> find a Taurus I can rip the 3 prong connector out of too, make things a
> little easier to disconnect if needed.
>

> MattB
>

> Dan Kramarsky wrote:
>> Matt,
>>
>> I just order same fan. #35317. For $42 I will give it a shot too!
> Keep us updated with your mods and wiring diagrams.
>>
>> My wiring will be really simple to start with. Just a 75-amp relay and
> switch under the dash. Then I will get into the thermostat setups.
>>

>> Dan K.
>>
>> Vehicle 1: 1992 Dodge Dakota Club Cab LE Color: Two-tone silver
> Engine: 5.2L EFI Mods: Home-brew CAI, March pullies, K&N Filters,
> Relocated IAT, DynoMax Turbo Exhaust and Hi-Flow Cat. Race weight:
> 3700 lbs.
>>
>> Photo: http://static.flickr.com/42/84856795_c18903d10f.jpg
>>
>> Vehicle 2: 1993 Ford Crown Victoria LX Color: White Engine: 4.6L EFI
> Mods: none yet.
>>
>> Photo: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3098/2726734706_3f511ec702.jpg
>>

>> --- On Fri, 6/5/09, DML Digest
>> <owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net>
> wrote:
>>

>>> From: DML Digest <owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net> Subject:
>>> DML Digest V5 #3755
>>> To: dakota-truck-digest@twistedbits.net Date: Friday, June 5, 2009,
>>> 9:00 PM
>>>
>>> DML Digest
>>> Saturday, June 6 2009
>>> Volume 05 : Number 3755
>>>

>>> The subjects discussed in this digest are: ==========
>>> DML: Taurus Fan Update
>>> Re: DML: Taurus Fan Update
>>> Re: DML: Taurus Fan Update
>>> Re: DML: Taurus Fan Update
>>> Re: DML: Taurus Fan Update
>>> Re: DML: Taurus Fan Update
>>> DML: Quality time final

>>> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 02:30:47 -0700 From: Matt Beazer
>>> <teseract@moparhowto.com> Subject: DML: Taurus Fan Update
>>>
>>> Finally got the fan today, so I took some pics with a tape measure.
>>> The
>>> one I'm most concerned about is this:
>>>
>>> http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/fan_depth.jpg
>>>
>>> Looks to be 4.75" max depth, with my wife holding the tape measure a
> [...]
>>> crooked. Note that the shroud can't be trimmed for less depth, I put
>>> straightedge over the hub, there's only 1/8-1/4" clearance before the
>>> hub would be rubbing the radiator if trimmed.
>>>
>>> Then we have:
>>>
>>> Height:
> http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/fan_height.jpg
>>> Width:
> http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/fan_width.jpg
>>> Back:
>>> http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/fanback.jpg
>>> Front:
>>> http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/fanfront.jpg
>>>
>>> This thing definitely pulls some power considering how thick the wires
>>> are:
>>>

> http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/
fan_wirethickness.jpg