Memories Etched In Blacktop

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 02:49:49 EDT

July 14th 2006.

A few DML members have been on the highway for a number of days already.

Some have just hit the road... while others have yet depart for the Colorado Rockies.

The DML National Meet in Colorado was about to kick off the following day. An event brought to
fruition following a couple years of planning and organizing, pooling of resources and
knowledge and a flurry of activity. Reflecting upon this moment, and others gone past...
Thinking forward to this summers quickly approaching shenanigins...

ahhh memories...

The rest of us gather around and watch in amazement. Nobody else is crazy enough to try.
-- 2000 DML BBQ

6:30 AM, I take the dog out for his morning visit to the bushes, and I
notice Tom's Ram sitting in the driveway of the campground. "Cool!" I
think to myself, "he must be inside getting registered." I look
inside... no Tom. I look in the Ram, there's Tom, asleep, stretched
out on his bench seat. I have no idea what time he got here, but it
must have been some time in the middle of the night.
-- Posted by Jason to National DML Meet at 7/16/2006

Peter (Cutler) mutters something about being awake since 2:30 AM the previous day and collapses
into a chair asleep.
-- 2000 DML BBQ

The "Are We There Yet?" Award For displaying extreme tolerance of long interrupted stretches of
driving on pavement in a quest for short periods of driving in mud: Ed McCarrick
Originally filled out to Adam and Dave for driving from Windsor, Ontario
then we remembered that Ed, who actually lives the closest to Jon,
had cut his vacation short and driven in that day from Myrtle Beach.
-- 2000 DML BBQ

Dakota: "What's your prediction?"
Adam: "Oh he's gettin' stuck for sure. Tom is gonna get stuck, 95% sure."
Dakota: "Well there's a vote of confidence"
(Tom blasts through The Pit without flinching)
Adam: "Adam was wrong!"
-- 2002 DML BBQ

Adam and David then do a synchronized attempt to climb up the ravine wall. Adam finds more
traction than he wanted, and does not do a burnout for fear of launching himself into orbit.
-- 2000 DML BBQ

I enjoyed meeting you all, putting faces to the names, and being a part of your adventures. We
did a quick survey, and discovered that nearest participant traveled 700 miles and that the
furthest was 2000 miles. I for one can say it was worth the journey. I hope we can meet up
again in the future.
-- Korey Atterbury - 2006 Nat. Meet

(Jon makes a run through in 2wd, has to use 4wd to get out)
Adam: "SIDEWAYS!! Jon has to go sideways to make up for that!"
(Jon drives across The Pit sideways)
-- 2002 DML BBQ

"You're the next contestant on "Break Your Jeep!"
-- 2002 DML BBQ

"Some things in here don't react too well to mud pits"
-- Daktoberfest 2002

"Eight trucks in, eight trucks out - minus a mirror"
"But did ya have fun!?"
"Oh yeah!"
"Ya wanna go again?"
"Not on THAT trail!"
-- 2000 DML BBQ

Truck + 3 am + 7 foot pond = wet truck
Christine sinks in pond with Terrible Tom at the wheel...
more to come...
we have video...
-- 2003 DML BBQ

Andy, Ed and Jason end up taking the bypass around the worst of the mud. Adam flies through it.
   We check under his truck for a hidden rocket assist engine and find none.
-- 2000 DML BBQ

Memories... reading the accounts of these events brings to mind thoughts of people and friends.
   Moments in time frozen in thought forever.

A Canadian flag flying across the top of a row of vines...

A road weary driver passed out on a couch after rolling for hours just to attend a weekend of
fun and comradery...

A truck sitting in the sun, its lines covered in mud, quickly drying in the mud...

Good Times...