Re: Changing transmission filter: a couple fine points

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jul 17 2009 - 20:22:48 EDT

Tom Coulter <metalshop@optonline.net> wrote:

> Again, model is:
> '97 Dakota Sport | 2WD | 3.9L

> I have the pancake filter out and a new one on deck.

> What compound(s) would be good to apply to the gasket surfaces before
> installing?
> Any I would I definitely NOT want to use?
> Would a thin film of grease be a bad idea?

   Are you using the steel and rubber reusable Mopar gasket or are you
installing a rubber and/or cork one time use gasket? If its the
latter, I'd be tempted to spread a very thin bead of RTV on both sides
of the gasket (or on the underside of the transmission and on the top
of the pan). If its the reusable rubber and steel gasket, then I
don't think I'd use anything. A little RTV would help the cork style
gasket to seal, but I don't think I'd use anything with the reusable
gasket because when you go to change it again, you're going to have to
clean off the RTV, and anyway, from what I've heard, the rubber/steel
style doesn't really need any help in the sealing department.

> Interestingly, in the front-right corner of the bottom of the transmission
> is a small spring-loaded (flat) pin that points down into the corner of the
> pan. Any hunches as to what the function is?

    Is there any chance it could be the end of the dipstick?

--
                                          -Jon-