RE: Changing transmission filter: a couple fine points

From: Tom Coulter (metalshop@optonline.net)
Date: Sat Jul 18 2009 - 10:08:06 EDT

Points made by Jon & Ray - including the torque specs - are duly noted.
Thanks.

I recall you - or someone - mentioning about the (reusable) Mopar gasket.
This time, I opted for the one that came w/ the Purolator filter. I'm also
gonna bore a 1/2" hole in the center of the lowest part of the pan - there's
a rectangular-shaped depression on the right-hand side - just in front of
the donut magnet. Then I weld a 1/2"-20 nut to the bottom of the pan and
cop a plug from Pep Boys. Dodge's idea of a tranny fluid change is a shop
w/ grease pit and bathtub for a drain pan <smile>. Jeez.

I also plan to replace the 3 Torex screws that fasten the pancake filter w/
"normal" Phillips screws - 10-24 X 2 1/2". (It always bugs me when the
rocket-scientist engineers come up w/ trick fasteners the average guy won't
have tools for in his tool box just to throw him off the trail ... Phillips
would have been just find here, thank you very much.)

And yes - the "spring-loaded" pin is, indeed, the bottom of the dip stick.
Duh! Once again, I feel like a dumb-ass.