Clunking/Clacking noise on hard left turns

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Mon Jul 20 2009 - 01:40:35 EDT

My '95 Dakota 4x4 is making an odd clunk-clack-clack noise while making
hard left turns (I noticed it driving down out of a parking garage).
Right turns seem to be fine. I don't feel anything in the steering
wheel when this happens. Also, sometimes when backing up a slight
incline with the wheel turned hard RIGHT, it has a sensation and a
slight "whirring" noise like something is binding or rubbing in the
front end.

Could this be a CV axle going, or a wheel bearing, or something else?

Thanks,

MattB