Re: Re: DML Digest V5 #3797

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jul 20 2009 - 21:26:13 EDT

Ken & Janet Olson wrote:
> I'm putting a remaned engine in my 97 Dakota. Any recommendations as to
> what I should replace along with the engine? Radiator? Harmonic balancer?
> Distributor? Slightly more than 200,000 miles on this truck. 3.9 engine.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

One would hope that the reman engine has a new timing chain in it. But make sure. I got
jacked on that when I first got Christine. I paid a shop to change the engine out for me with
a reman engine - they reused the timing set that was in the truck - and it lasted me not even 6
months. Might not be a bad idea to change the engine mounts too while everything is out. As
for the distrib, - couldn't hurt I suppose. Bushings and drive gears do wear out. I would be
less concerend with the distrib than I would timing chain set, and engine/tranny mounts.

Assuming you have an automatic transmission... I would change the transmission input (front
pump) and output shaft seals while I had the drive train out. If they have never been changed,
with 200K on the clock its time. If they have been changed, change them agian anyway. Just
because if one of them leaks - its a major pain in the ass to take it all apart again. Even if
you have a stick shift - change the seals if its within your means.

Unless you suspect the harmonic balancer and or/radiator of being bad, I would leave em alone.

"Man is the only kind of varmint [who] sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it"
-John Steinbeck