Re: Front drive shaft location

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Jul 27 2009 - 09:18:30 EDT

On Jul 24, 2009, at 17:02 , Jason Bleazard wrote:

> On Fri, July 24, 2009 3:50 pm, Michael Maskalans wrote:
>>
>> I know a few things about wrenching, and swapping parts between
>> makes.
>
> Clearly very true, but you forgot to tell us when Jeeps switched from
> passenger to driver's side. I don't know either, but I'd guess it was
> around the time they first switched from round to square headlights.

That's exactly right - except for the bastard Wagoneers. I *think*
they were all driver drop, and they definitely were all 6 on 5.5 bolt
pattern (matches Yota and 1/2t Chevy), not the 5 or 5.5 of the CJs or
5 on 4.5 of the YJ/TJ/XJ/ZJ. the WJ is I think 5 on 4.75 and the JK
is assuredly 5 on 5. I don't know about the KJ, or whatever
designations the Lib/Pat/Commander are.

All CJs are passenger drop, and the newer CJ 5/7/8 have low pinion D30
fronts with locking hubs.

in '87 with the YJ they went to a driver side diff and CAD with unit
bearings on the D30 front. Still small 260x ujoints.
The XJ runs a high pinion 30, much more desirable axle. But the XJs
ran CAD as well in the early years.

I forget when CAD was dropped but no TJs have it. I think 93/94 was
the split for the small 260 axle joints to the large 297/760 joints.
the later XJ axles are high pinion big joint with no CAD, best of the
D30s.

Any unit bearing 30 can take large joint shafts. I think all
interchange as far as lengths go, and of course CAD can be ignored
with installation of a solid longside shaft instead of a 2 piece.

Sorry for the questionable info, my Jeep is getting better but not as
strong as my fullsize info....

Mike