Re: Cash for Clunkers WAS: Christine is off the road indefinitely.

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 05 2009 - 14:01:51 EDT

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:02, Jason Bleazard<dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

> On Wed, August 5, 2009 10:55 am, Andy Levy wrote:
>>
>> Neither of our vehicles qualifies for the program in the first place,
>> which is a major downer - Subaru just sent me a love note saying
>> they're trying to unload '09s in a hurry.
>
> Your cars should be worth more than $4500 anyway, shouldn't they?  As I
> understand it, this program replaces the trade in value.  Since the
> vehicles have to be scrapped, that will kill any value they might have
> had.  I thought it was more for something like my '95 where I'd be lucky
> to get more than $1000 for trading it in.

Good point, I hadn't thought about that, and I'm honestly not sure how
that works - cars.gov isn't terribly helpful on that question.

Both our cars are worth over $4500, I'm fairly sure - once I get the
body damage on the Subaru fixed (whenever that may happen), it should
be worth close to $9K still, and the van probably the same (lower
mileage, but less "desirable" vehicle in this region than an AWD
wagon)