Re: Christine is off the road indefinitely.

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 14:07:39 EDT

On Thu, August 6, 2009 1:15 pm, Terrible Tom wrote:

> Yanno, that is something I have never experienced. I've had others tell
> me the same thing.
> Friend of mine was gassing up her SUV, and had someone start ripping into
> her at the gas
> station about how its the fault of people like her that gas prices are so
> high and all that.
> (this happened in CT). I guess its geographical and social differences.

Great. Honda actually had a commercial once where a Civic driver was
smugly taunting an SUV owner about how long it was taking him to fill up.
I'm afraid if someone ever did that to me at a gas station, I'd be tempted
to pour gas over their head. That's a horrible thing to do, but I'd be
tempted anyway.

It's not as bad since we moved out of Toronto proper, but we're close
enough that I still get the occasional zealot. Mostly people are just
curious about why I would choose to drive a truck when I'm not even a
construction worker. Like I'm driving a bulldozer to work or something.
Then when they find out we have two of them, they're even more puzzled.

I worked with a guy many years ago who asked me about it something like
five times over a year. He just couldn't wrap his head around it. This
was even before SUVs became the symbol of everything evil. I finally
asked him "if it was two Durangoes, would that seem as weird?" Nope. He
thought SUVs were perfectly normal family vehicles, but pickup trucks were
construction equipment. He was shocked when I informed him that a Durango
is just a Dakota with a hatch instead of a bed.

Sigh...

In all fairness, it does seem to mostly be people who have recently
immigrated from areas of the world where a moped that works is a symbol of
wealth and prosperity. We do have it pretty good on this continent.