Axle Shaft Bearings

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 21 2009 - 10:55:52 EDT

I have a rear axle seal that's leaking, so I'm replacing both. The
bearings appear to be in good condition... but is there
less-than-obvious wear that I should be looking for? I don't have a
slide hammer or other similar tool for removing such bearings. I'd
prefer to just replace the seal... but is it a good idea to replace
the bearings too?

Funny thing is, the seal that's leaking is on the pass side. The
driver's side is the one that I bent the axle flange and had to
replace the axleshaft, but kept the same seal 10k miles ago. Tough
little bugger the 8 1/4.

Don in CT
89 Dak Vert 318 NV3500 4x4
74 Dart Sport 340