Re: coolant bypass hose...

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 19:10:59 EDT

I don't know if the mounting setup changed between the 2nd gen and 3rd
gen trucks, but when I changed the water pump I changed the bypass hose
at the same time to be safe. To be honest I thought it was easy, I just
unbolted the entire AC/Alternator/etc assembly (4-5 bolts I think), used
a chunk of wood to bridge between the passenger side fender and the
valve cover, and set it there with all the wires, etc still attached
other than the A/C clutch wire. (Disconnect the battery to be safe!).
You don't have to unbolt any of the accessories from the bracket.

This made it a whole world of a lot easier to get to the water pump, and
I don't think it'd be possible to get to the bypass hose without doing
so. Plus you get the chance to scrape out the 5lbs of crud that gets
trapped back there. ;) I'd replace it, that'd be a real nightmare to
fix on the side of the road!

MattB