RE: 4.7L durability/mileage

From: Ray Block (BPracing@wowway.com)
Date: Tue Oct 27 2009 - 16:02:30 EDT

Having owned a 4.7L 2000 Grand Cherokee 4x4 since new, I can speak to the
durability side of this engine. Very good! I've raced this Jeep at the
drag strip for 9 years (and two season championships), driven through mud
bogs and down creeks, and towed 6000 lbs (my race Dak & trailer) from Ohio
to California and back. It's never missed a beat and uses no oil as of
today at 66,000 miles.

While my GC weighs about the same as my '92 Dak did when new, the 4.7 engine
gets way better gas mileage than the Dak did....and is quicker in the
quarter mile than the Dak was stock, despite being 4 wheel drive.

However, a quad cab Ram will be much heavier than either of my vehicles so
I'd expect your performance and mileage to suffer a good bit. Better than
a 5.2 but probably not as good as you'd get with the Hemi. If you drive
primarily in town and don't carry heavy loads the 4.7 may return better
mileage than the Hemi. Otherwise, I'd choose the Hemi.

HTH.
Ray