Re: Chrysler Changes

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Nov 14 2009 - 14:43:30 EST

Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

> Bill Pitz wrote:
>>
>> A Ram 2500 was out of the question for me as soon as I opened the door
>> and looked at where it was manufactured. :-(

> The news just keeps getting better.

> According to Wikipedia, Chrysler builds *all* of the 2500/3500 models in
> Mexico. Nobody builds exclusively in the US anymore, but if you're
> looking for a US-built truck then yeah, you're SOL. (Although some of
> the Mexico plants have really respectable quality records... when I had
> my Neon, everyone knew that the Mexico cars were much more likely to
> keep their paint.)

    This stuff obviously changes all the time, but just for reference,
my '01 3500 was built in St. Louis. According to my FSM, other
options for the Ram in '01 were Dodge City and Lago Alberto (the last
one being Mexico, obviously).

    The last year I have info for is 2006; in that year, the two US
plants were the same with the Mexican option being Saltillo. I don't
have information that breaks out the HD versions though, so it could
very well be that all 2500/3500 are being built in Mexico with only
1500s being built at Dodge City or St. Louis. That seems to be the
consensus from a bunch of web sites that turn up after a quick Google
search, confirming the info Jason found at Wikipedia.

    If someone were looking to buy a truck that is "made in the USA"
(actually that's not 100% possible anymore, maybe "assembled in the
USA" would be more accurate) for political reasons, then that could
present a problem, but as far as quality goes, personally, I'd
actually *prefer* a vehicle that was assembled in Mexico to one that
was built using UAW labor. A non-union shop tends to foster the
rather quaint and outdated notion that an employee's quality of
workmanship has a bearing on their continued employment and pay rate.

--
                                          -Jon-