Re: oil burner conversion?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Nov 29 2009 - 17:20:07 EST

clhyer@cox.net wrote:

> Someone out there is already quite proficient in this swap... As I
> recall, about the time I joined the list (in 1999 maybe?) there were
> several new Dak V6 engines on ebay. IIRC it was a mining co. that
> had purchased a fleet of new Dak's and converted them to diesel. I
> don't remember the particulars, but a little research in this area
> might turn up something. Cal

   That's a good thought. And, it jogged my memory - I *thought* that
I remembered that the Dakota was available in a diesel in other
countries, possibly having to do with South America. A quick search
of the DML archives turned up this link:

http://www.dieselnet.com/news/1997/11ddc.php

   The cliff notes version is that the Dakota and also the Jeep
Cherokee were indeed available from the factory with a diesel. I
don't know any of the specs except that it was built by Detroit Diesel
(!) and it is a 2.5L. Probably a Google search would turn up more but
I don't have time to check into it now (plus I am trying very hard not
to get diesel fever and aquire yet another project!) ;-)

    Anyhoo... Unless the engine turns out to be a real dog or there
are some other over-riding factors - this certainly seems like an
avenue to explore. What better engine than one which was installed in
Dakotas by Dodge itself?

    I'm no diesel expert, but I think Detroit Diesel is a fairly
respected name. Its interesting that, at basically the same time
Dodge was partnering with Cummins on the Ram, they were installing
Detroit engines in Dakotas and Cherokees!

--
                                          -Jon-