Shift and water leaks - Resolution!

From: clhyer@cox.net
Date: Sun Mar 14 2010 - 10:46:53 EDT

A month or so ago I posted on a couple problems a buddy was having with a 2002 Dak. It was becoming difficult to shift out of park, and there was a floor full of water on the passenger side. This is a follow up in the event someone might be helped...

Shifter. Bernd suggested looking at the shift cable. It took two of us to figure out what in the "H" the book (FSM) was talking about, but we did finally figure out what it was. Not a simple adjustment, and we had to play around with the adjusting mechanisms but we do have it shifting out of park now. Not perfect, but it is shifting. FYI, there are two small "blocks" in the shift cable under the dash. You monkey around with those until it starts to work. Difficult to explain. Maybe that's why I couldn't understand the FSM.

Water leaks. I determined that it wasn't a blocked drain tube or the heater core (YEA!!!). We had to remove the carpet as it was absolutely soaked. Every time it rained the floorboard was covered with water. Running water through the cowl panel we found one spot at the kickpanel to floor seam where the factory had missed about an inch of seamsealer. Applying a low pressure shot of air into that seam and with soapy water on the outside we located a small area behind the inner fender where the seam sealer had cracked. Simple enough. The next rain, though, filled the floorboard again, but not in the same place.

More water test. Water was coming in from behind the door panel. Removing the door panel we found aftermarket speakers had been installed without using a gasket behind them. Made a couple gaskets for both doors and we are now completely dry. Why didn't it leak on the driver side door? We had the truck parked across a slight slope with the passenger side uphill. Water would run down the window track and then drip onto the speaker. With no gasket it simply leaked and came out from behind the door panel.

I was sure glad it wasn't the heater core!
Cal