Re: Engine swap

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Mar 15 2010 - 16:50:11 EDT

"Mike Sykes" <mikesykes@cox.net> wrote:

>>>Thanks Bill.. next question, I may have found a PCM from a '99 Durango;
> could that work? Or would that 5spd confuse it to much?<<

> It will run, but you'll get all kinds of check engine lights. Best to find a
> 94 PCM from a 5 speed Ram. That way you won't have to program the VIN and
> Mileage, and it will know how to run the truck with the current wiring
> harness. 96+ trucks have OBDII and a different plug for the harness to mate
> to the PCM. Stick with a 95 or older PCM to reduce headaches. =)

    Yep, plus that '99 Durango PCM is going to expect to run a 46RE
transmission - its an electronically controlled transmission run by
the PCM, as opposed to the '95 and earlier PCMs which expect to be
connected to the 46RH, which is hydraulically controlled and the
connection between the trans and PCM is minimal. (Basically just the
OD lockout, I believe?) As Mike recommended, if you get a 5-speed PCM
the trans connection is even more minimal.

--
                                          -Jon-