Re: RE: Timing Chain questions...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Mar 25 2010 - 23:39:22 EDT

John Dunlap <jsdunlap@roadkill.org> wrote:

> should be necessary only if you have rotated the engine with the old
> chain off.....

    Yep, I believe that is correct. I've never done a timing chain on
a Magnum engine so take this for what it is worth, but I think you
would be OK if you find some way to mark the crank and cam sprockets
(preferably before you remove the chain) such that you can be
absolutely sure they didn't move. Might not be a bad idea to have
the ol' TDC stop and degree wheel on hand just in case something goes
wrong, but after you install the new chain, as long as both the cam
and crank are in exactly the same positions they were in before you
removed the chain, you should be OK.

    More experienced folks, feel free to chime in if I am mistaken.
:-)

--
                                          -Jon-