Timing

From: Azie L. Magnusson (maggie11@mchsi.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2010 - 10:34:01 EDT

Chris W. writes: >> When replacing the timing chain, I found
directions that require you to rotate the engine to TDC, use a
needle gague, etc... to get all the alignment back together. Is this
really necessary? <<

Prior to removing the timing chain, align the marks. Alignment
marks are to be facing each other and in exact alignment dead
center to the cam bolt and crank bolt. (Crank mark dead center
facing up - Cam mark dead center facing down). They are
sometimes difficult to see, but a good wipe with a shop towel
will usually be of great help. After making sure they are in
alignment, remove the chain and both sprockets straight out to
prevent any rotation of either cam or crank. Install the new
sprockets and chain in reverse order making sure both sprockets
are on their respective keys. You do not want to chance
putting it together with the cam being off either way. It must
be exact.. You will almost certainly have to move the assy inward
in small incrememts as the chain hardly allows any flex. After
assembly and prior to putting the cam cover back on, rotate the
engine one or two complete revolutions checking the timing marks
each time as they come back into alignment. I do this with a
socket on the crankshaft bolt and a good extension. Thsi is just
insurance to myself for piece of mind until I hear it fire up..

Good luck and keep the list posted.

Man is not free unless government is limited.
Ronald Reagan

Azie